misc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Math Thread

2 posters

Go down

Official Math Thread Empty Official Math Thread

Post by wickedsmaht Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:15 am

I doubt there'll be much traction here but who knows.

Mathematics is the art of thinking and problem solving. The numbers don't matter, mathematics is the beauty that emerges from creativity in creating structure and finding pattern.

anyways, I installed LaTeX on here, see the thread in the News/Info section for more about formatting mathematics.

Proof that there are infinitely many primes, by contradiction.

Assume that there are finintely many primes. Call them \(p_1, p_2,...,p_k\) and we shall assume they are sorted smallest to largest. Then consider the integer \(N\) that is one more than the product of these primes. That is,

$$N = p_1\cdot p_2 \cdots p_k +1$$

By matter of fact, this integer \(N\) must be divisible by some prime number. If it was itself prime, we arrive at a contradiction, as \(N\) is certainly larger than \(p_k\), which was presumed to be the largest prime number in our collection. If it is divisible by a prime, it must be divisible by one of the \(p_1,p_2,...,p_k\). However, \(N\), upon division by any of these presumed complete collection of primes, the remainder is always 1.

Thus, in any case, we have a contradiction.

Therefore the assumption that there are finitely many primes was an incorrect assumption, and so there must be infinitely many prime numbers. \(\square\)
wickedsmaht
wickedsmaht

REPS : 1001890

Back to top Go down

Official Math Thread Empty Re: Official Math Thread

Post by wincel Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:16 am

https://aperiodical.com/2024/07/the-big-internet-math-off-2024-quarter-final-1/

Saw this a while back. I never knew this about the Euclidean algorithm and continued fractions. Pretty cool.

REPS : 851

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedsmaht Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:09 am

^ Interesting. I posted an answer on math.se and some guy said "obviously its the same as dividing"

Not exactly the same but similar idea, and it is cool
wickedsmaht
wickedsmaht

REPS : 1001890

wincel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wincel Fri Sep 27, 2024 5:03 am

wickedsmaht wrote:^ Interesting. I posted an answer on math.se and some guy said "obviously its the same as dividing"

Not exactly the same but similar idea, and it is cool

Yea in retrospect, it is obvious, but I had never learned or thought of it this way.
wincel
wincel

REPS : 851

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down