misc
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photography Thread

+5
Goobrah
AnaboLecter
Getter_done
Wasp9166
Steffo
9 posters

misc :: Misc

Go down

Photography Thread Empty Photography Thread

Post by Steffo Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:58 pm

Glad to see the forum live on and figured I start a photo thread.

I just got started about 4 years ago, so no pro by any means, but spend a lot of hours following other photographers etc. Hope some of you younger dudes can contribute. In the old folks forum I was pretty much the only one posting for the past 2 years or so. If you have any beginner questions, I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities

I'm still with the old tech and got all my gear second hand. Using a Nikon D850 camera, and my lenses are Nikon 300 mm /f2.8 VR, Tamron 90 mm/2.8 macro, nikon 24 mm/1.8. The editing program I use is on1raw.

I got back to this old hobby when trying to think back what I got joy from earlier in life and needed to find something new. When was 14-15, I got into it, borrowed some gear and had my own dark room made in a closet. Read up and learned how to develop pics with these various chemicals etc. But then got away from it in high school with partying and so on.

Been trying a few different things, but so far like shooting mammals, and flowers+insects the most.
Tried macro and it's cool, but like close ups better where you can see some of the environment.

Have been enjoying restoring some family photos as well. Got some good results with AI to restore faces etc 2 years ago, but it was unreliable so waiting, watching and letting that tech get even better for now.

Anyhow, please share anything!

Photography Thread 0011a1f2

Photography Thread 0778a1f2

Photography Thread 1653a1f2

Photography Thread 1871a1f2

Photography Thread 4210bwa

Photography Thread 9128a1f2
'
Photography Thread Apa1f2

Photography Thread 9480a1f2

Photography Thread 2053a4f2

Just found this pic in my sister's album. She passed away this summer. So edited it a bit and figure I send it to my dad who is in the pic as well, 88 years old today. I know he was proud of me in this 1994 pic as I had just passed the beret test – 2 days marching without food and 40 kg on your back, plus several tests on the way. AVI I put up for now is that old pic from way back, so ofc I look much better now.

Last edited by Steffo on Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steffo
Steffo

REPS : 250

NEETvestor, Wasp9166, GuineaDago585, thaifoon90 and vsauce like this post

Back to top Go down

Photography Thread Empty Re: Photography Thread

Post by Wasp9166 Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:04 pm

You took all of these ?
Wasp9166
Wasp9166

REPS : 2849

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:10 pm

Just joined, so barely know how to reply, lol. Yes, took these...just wanted to post a small sample from this past month.
Steffo
Steffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Getter_done Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:15 pm

Awesome dude.
Getter_done
Getter_done

REPS : 1187

Steffo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wasp9166 Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:23 pm

Where were they taken ,you in Australia or something?
Wasp9166
Wasp9166

Back to top Go down

Post by AnaboLecter Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:25 pm

Nice pics, the penguins pic is the best one IMO
AnaboLecter
AnaboLecter

REPS : 188

AnaboLecter and Steffo like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Goobrah Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:26 pm

Damn mirin hard
Goobrah
Goobrah

REPS : 927

Steffo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:30 pm

Gothenburg, Sweden. Has a few parks and botanical gardens. The small monkey was indoors at Universeum (Gothenburg.) The place was so dirty I had to write the CEO. She was nice in the reply though that they would try and do better.
Steffo
Steffo

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaDago585 Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:34 pm

Photography Thread He6ah4a
GuineaDago585
GuineaDago585

REPS : 1556

Steffo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wasp9166 Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:38 pm

Ayyyyyy
Wasp9166
Wasp9166

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:39 pm

Ah yes, have to go back and see these little monkeys again.
Steffo
Steffo

Back to top Go down

Post by NEETvestor Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:25 pm

Steffo wrote:Have been enjoying restoring some family photos as well. Got some good results with AI to restore faces etc 2 years ago, but it was unreliable so waiting, watching and letting that tech get even better for now.

Photography Thread 2053a4f2

Just found this pic in my sister's album. She passed away this summer. So edited it a bit and figure I send it to my dad who is in the pic as well, 88 years old today. I know he was proud of me in this 1994 pic as I had just passed the beret test – 2 days marching without food and 40 kg on your back, plus several tests on the way. AVI I put up for now is that old pic from way back, so ofc I look much better now.

I'm very sorry to hear about your sister.

Coincidentally I'm also going through a lot of old family photographs. (I don't have the skill to restore them, though.) There's something magical about rediscovering old photos and looking at them with new eyes.

Anyway, it's great that you've resurrected the photography thread. That was one of my favorites on the old site, and you're a really talented photographer.
NEETvestor
NEETvestor

REPS : 150

Steffo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:39 pm

Mirin' photos
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:18 pm

Thank you, Neet and others. Hope to find some good locations this winter and next year. This year wasn't that great. Here are some pics from last year. I can already see how I would edit differently and better today, but it is what it is.

Photography Thread L1f

Photography Thread 1568till1769a1f2

Photography Thread L1b

Photography Thread L1d

Photography Thread L1c

Photography Thread L1e

Photography Thread L1g
Steffo
Steffo

NEETvestor, Wasp9166, Chasbrah and vsauce like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:44 pm

Neet, found 2 I was happy with the AI restore face results back then. Was some page on huggingface. This was from small old pics – my grandma at 17 in 1933 by the lake, and my mom and grandma in about 1946 or so.

Photography Thread Mormor1933

Photography Thread 9a2AI
Steffo
Steffo

NEETvestor likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vsauce Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:52 pm

Bro nice pics. II’ve only picked up a proper camera for 2 months so i don’t really anything worth sharing. But i find this hobby really fun and its been changing my life perspective on a lot of things i appreciate it. Will continue watching this thread, def post more
vsauce
vsauce

REPS : 131

Steffo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by thaifoon90 Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:54 pm

mirin nature shots
thaifoon90
thaifoon90

REPS : 147

Steffo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:04 pm

Just went back to see how I would do things differently with a photo today compared to 2 years ago, and to have something more to put up here for the moment.

This was with my previous gear which was decent – Nikon D810 and the 200-500/5.6. Many praise this lens, but for me it always lacked that something, so after testing vs a sigma 500/f4.5 prime I got my hands on I sold that one. And then later traded that Sigma one as well (plus other gear one as well) for a nikon 300 mm/f2.8 VR – which I can clearly tell is better in every aspect, except the range. Has more 3d pop somehow, and with being able to open up so much more and let more light in it also expands the hours you can go out and get good shoots – no longer restricted to daytime, but can get some decent ones when other ppl give up and go home.

Photography Thread Image-3

Original RAW file vs Edit 2 years ago vs edit tonight.

So will try and go back to some of the same locations as before, with new gear, a new eye, and better editing skills. The 300 mm is a bit on the short side sometimes for sure, but upgraded camera this winter to the D850 with 46 MP sensor, so hoping that will compensate a bit as it lets you crop in a bit more. A used 600 mm/f4 would be great later on as well.

On a side note: Got rid of all zoom lenses, as those are not for me, but sticking with a few primes from now on. To my eye it makes a big difference although some others may not see it or care as much.

So with editing, which seems overlooked a lot by non photographers, I think I have improved gradually. I feel the biggest difference is that compared to just 2 years ago, I no longer test all the options and sliders as much, but rather see right away from the original picture what could be done (within my program – on1raw)  and just do those few things. My intention is to just make it look like the way I saw it with my own eyes and perhaps enhance some aspects by a small amount.

Ok enough text, here a few more from earlier.

Photography Thread 4202a1sep24f2

Photography Thread 1897new1

Photography Thread Deer2f2b

Photography Thread Redpanda2f2
Steffo
Steffo

NEETvestor and vsauce like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:10 pm

Regarding restoring old photos, I'd love to get more into it, just waiting for better AI tech.
I did get great results on some faces before though, as with the pic of my mom here, around 1950.
It was a really dirty photo I cleaned up and cropped in a lot, so was amazed at the result I got that time.

Photography Thread Mom2c

Included a photo of grandads's dad (Born 1860) – his face just look like he's been through alot.

[url=https://ibb.co/tp61v5Z]Photography Thread Grandpasdad1

Photography Thread Chad2f2

Then found an older album with ppl who made it over to the states, so cleaned up one of a young dude looking a bit like chad, and a bit like a miscer who made it

Anyways, have good evening misc.
Steffo
Steffo

NEETvestor likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:56 pm

vsauce wrote:Bro nice pics. II’ve only picked up a proper camera for 2 months so i don’t really anything worth sharing. But i find this hobby really fun and its been changing my life perspective on a lot of things i appreciate it. Will continue watching this thread, def post more

Aye, it has done something to me as well - opening up my eyes to many things and details here and there. Stuff I wouldn't have noticed before.

Hope you post some stuff later - you only compete againsts yourself in this field in a sense.
Steffo
Steffo

vsauce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:25 pm

Faces from the past – restoring some old ones

From an old family album we got as some ppl passed away. It doesn't give names or anything, but belonged to my grandfathers' mother Sofia. It has some pics of ppl who made it to the states etc.

I will show the 3 steps for each one here. The first one is the original, the second one is a fortunate good result from a huggingface beta. Search Huggingface and face restore and you can possibly find it. Was 2 years ago so forgot exact link. The third for these pics is what I did with the AI improved one in the on1raw editing program tonight. Just wanted to revisit these with a new eye. Had to remove hundreds of dust particles etc, and do the regular process.

Photography Thread Image-4

Photography Thread Baby1f2

Photography Thread Image-5

Photography Thread Baby2a1f2

Photography Thread Image-6

Photography Thread Chada1f2

He made it over to New York.

Photography Thread Image-7

Photography Thread Fader1a1f2
Steffo
Steffo

Kiop likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:28 pm

Photography Thread Image-8

Photography Thread Likmiga1f2

This one freaked me out a bit as I don't know who he is, but could be my double or twin brother. Some relative tho on mom's side of the family.

Skipping the first 2 pics from here as you get the point already. 4 strong wamens.

Photography Thread Kv1a1f2

This one stood out to me as they look a bit more asian. Thinking it may be from some influx from the sami population in the north (and east before that): Ppl always say they are the original population, but that is wrong from looking at genetic resereach – they came in 2k years ago, and there has been ppl here for 10k years after the ice melted away.

Photography Thread Kv2a1f2

Photography Thread Kv3a1f2

Photography Thread Kv4a2
Steffo
Steffo

Kiop likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffo Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:34 pm

Incredibel poor and dirty pic to begin with, but can see that they made it over with the american flag in the background.

Photography Thread ParA1f2
Steffo
Steffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down